Friday, October 9, 2015

Five Friday Favorites: Epcot Attractions

Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Who doesn't enjoy a good day at Epcot? Now, admittedly, when I was younger and my family would visit Epcot, I didn't quite get the hype. I mean, I enjoyed seeing all of the cool buildings and especially riding Test Track, but usually, about two or three hours into the day, I was ready to move on from Epcot. However, now that I am older and (I hope) more mature, I wouldn't trade a day at Epcot for anything. It has everything a Disney fanatic could ask for, from Disney history to beautiful sights and even some awesome attractions and excellent dining options.

To begin, I'll start with some honorable mentions that just missed the cut of making my list for my top five favorite Epcot attractions. First of all, I am proudly in the Figment cult following, meaning I love Journey Into Imagination with Figment. Sure, it is rather childish and simple, but that's what makes it work, I think. Imagination isn't suppose to be something that is to be heavily dissected and diagnosed, but rather, it's just meant to be simple just like Figment himself. I would love to see an update for this attraction, but please don't take away my Figment, Disney.

I must make mention also of Mission: Space, but I must specify that this is exclusively for the Green Team. The Orange Team is just too much for me, but the Green Team is quite thrilling for me, and being able to work alongside your family members as you ride is cool too. Plus, Gary Sinise is in charge...how could it be bad??

Finally, just missing the list is The Seas with Nemo and Friends. I love the story of Nemo and gang, and this attraction is a perfect way to retell it in a fresh and cool way. Plus, the breathtaking real life aquarium found after the ride itself is incredible no matter how many times you see it. Did you know that the Epcot ball (you know, that giant icon you see when you enter the park?) can fit comfortably inside the tank? That's phenomenal!

On to the top five!

5. Living With the Land

I think you either really love or really loathe this attraction; I don't think there's a middle ground. I love Living With the Land though! I thoroughly enjoy any opportunity that is afforded to me to go behind the scenes of anything at Disney, and being able to see all the different plants being grown and various fish being raised right in the middle of Epcot is stunning to me every single time. Also, seeing the cast members working in the natural areas on such a neat task is rather interesting as well.

4. Epcot Character Spot

It takes quite a special character greeting spot to break a top five list like this, but trust me, the Epcot Character Spot is special and some. As one of my favorite character greeting spots in the entire Walt Disney World Resort, guests can meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy in their classic attire just as everyone has come to know and love them, and that's an experience you literally cannot get anywhere else. It's always great to meet these iconic characters in whatever environment in whatever clothes, but to see them as the classics we all can instantly recognize is truly magical and a true highlight of a trip to Epcot.

3. Spaceship Earth

This attraction is Disney history in its finest form at Epcot. Perfectly summing up the vision and theme of Epcot, Spaceship Earth is something that is not to be missed at all by anyone visiting Epcot. Following the timeline of the history of communication, on paper, doesn't sound stimulating at all, but with the help of Judi Dench's fantastic narration and picturesque sets and audio animatronics, this is educational without ever being boring. Quick tip: come back to Spaceship Earth later in the day as most guests go there near the beginning of the day as it's the first attraction they come to when they enter the park.

2. Test Track

As the fastest attraction at Disney World, Test Track is a thrill ride for everyone that cannot be missed whatsoever. The preliminaries leading up to the figure-8 high-speed finale is worthwhile as well, but let's be honest: everyone who rides Test Track is just wanting to travel at speeds of 65 MPH around G-force producing turns to produce a sensation like you've never experienced before. If you love thrills, and I very much do, Test Track is the thrill of thrills at Epcot.

1. Soarin'

I am absolutely pumped to hear that Soarin' is getting some much needed upgrades to the movie reel, but even if it never received another update, I'm pretty sure it would still occupy the number one spot on this list. As Patrick Warburton exclaims, "Soarin' to tower," you know that you are just seconds from some of the most thrilling minutes of your Disney vacation as you fly high over the beautiful landscapes of California. I can actually smell those orange trees right now as your own personal hang glider finishes your trip at the motherland itself, Disneyland. Thank you, Disney's California Adventure, for the donation! The fine folks visiting Epcot every year really appreciate it!

Walt Disney was always an inspirational man of progress as he was constantly looking forward to the great, big, beautiful tomorrow. That vision and spirit is never more alive than when you walk through the gates of Epcot. From venturing around Future World to travelling the world in World Showcase, this is Disney through and through, and that means magic is abundant.

-Cody Fleenor

No comments:

Post a Comment