Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Royal Guests

Near the top of the list of what makes a visit to the Disney Parks so special and memorable is the great atmosphere created by the Cast Members themselves, and with tomorrow being Labor Day in the US, I felt like it was appropriate for us Disney fanatics to take some time and appreciate the Disney Cast Members and the hard work they put in to making all of our trips to Disney World or Disneyland so magical. 

For anyone not familiar with the term "Cast Member," that is how Disney refers to their employees. Instead of constantly reminding someone that they are at work, Disney wants their employees to feel as if they are on stage whenever they are on the clock. Therefore, the title of Cast Member is bestowed on every Disney worker from Guest Relations to the janitorial staff. Oftentimes, I feel as if we as guests take what the Cast Members provide for us for granted. It's taxing for sure to always have a smile on your face and treat everyone in the parks with the same amount of excitement and zeal. Yet, the Disney Cast Members across the board do just that everyday of the week.

I remember the first time I had the opportunity to travel to Disney World when I could wear the 'Happy Birthday' button. I had heard about the Cast Members wishing everyone a 'Happy Birthday' when their button is on, but in the back of my mind, I couldn't believe that everyone would actually do just that. That was before I stepped foot in a park, however. From the front gates to every restaurant to every attraction queue, I was happily being wished a 'Happy Birthday.' Now, this may sound simple, but to me, it made that trip a truly memorable one, and it was thanks in large part to the Cast Members. That's the mark of an excellent Cast Member, in my opinion, and what sets Disney apart even more so. The attention to the little things really do matter in business and in the world in general. The Cast Members take pride in the details, and as a guest, it's noticable and highly appreciated.

The Cast Members also do a splendid job making every guest, whether they are six or sixty, feel as if they are a king or a queen. The crazy thing is that even when the guest is acting like the court jester instead of the king, the Cast Member is still doing their job to perfection. The hype around Disney often revolves around the treatment of children and making them feel like princesses and pirates. While that is enitrely true and deserved of the attention, as I have grown up, I have quickly realized that just because you may be older doesn't mean that the Cast Members have a different protocol for you. They still have one goal in mind, and that is to make your trip to a Disney Park magical. 

Understandly, not everyone's encounter with a Cast Member is a pleasant one. In fact, I've had my fair share of negative encounters too, but that's just a part of life. For the most part, I leave an encounter with a Cast Member with a smile on my face and a memory to be made. I'm sure that if you have been to a Disney Park once or one hundred times, you can think of a time or two when a Cast Member just made your day. Sure, we go to the Disney Parks to meet characters, eat tremendous food, enjoy incredible rides, and so forth, but without the dedication of the Disney Cast Members, none of those things would even be possible. 

So this Labor Day, as we take some time to appreciate the hard work that has gone into making America great, let's take a minute to appreciate the hard work the Cast Members put into making every Disney guest feel welcomed to those happy places. 

To the Disney Cast Members, thansk for the continued memories.

-Cody Fleenor

No comments:

Post a Comment